Sunday, April 6, 2008

Crazy Laser

It is the other night after work, at about 11:30, I am sitting alone on a waist-high concrete wall waiting for the bus. A guy (male, Caucasian, early twenties) comes from out of the darkness and walks up to me. He says:

"Hey, do you want to see a crazy ass laser?"

"Sure," I say, not knowing how else to respond.

He pulls out a laser pointer and points it at the top of a building across a courtyard and across the street. I can see the green laser dance about on the side of the building where he's pointing it. It's gotta be at least five hundred feet away. Even at that distance the laser is still bright. He points the laser at another building that rises above the building across the street. This building's gotta be eight hundred, nine hundred, maybe even a thousand feet away? I can see the laser beam just as bright shining on that building.

Then I have a flash of understanding about what this guy is about to do. He's going to shine this high powered laser in my eyes. And while I'm blinded he's going to rob me. He will leave me stranded and helpless in the street. I' ll call the police, but because I'll be blinded I wont be able to pick him out of the line up of the usual suspects.

But he just says: "crazy, huh?" And walks off into the darkness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for another great giggle.