Friday, May 9, 2008

Another Post That Puts Me On My Nerd's Soapbox

I don't think George Lucas will ever read this blog, but I really want him to, because I would like to offer up an idea. And I know that in recent decades Mr Lucas hasn't listened to a lot of ideas from other people (forgive me Mr Lucas if you actually are reading this and refute that as not being the case, it's just that that's what it seems) I really want him to consider this idea.

I just watched the trailer for the new Star Wars Clone Wars animated movie coming out in theaters on August 15. If you haven't already, you too can watch the trailer at starwars.com. I'm not saying that this doesn't look good. I'm not saying that I wont go see it, because I will. It's just that if animated films is the new direction of the Star Wars franchise, it seems that setting them in the Clone Wars isn't as interesting as other possibilities.

Didn't George Lucas say that he was originally planing six more movies after the original trilogy? There were episodes I, II, and III which were made, and episodes VII, VIII and IX which were never made, supposedly because they dealt with the continuing story of Luke Skywalker and friends, and now those actors are all too old to come back.

However, since Star Wars is now going in the direction of purely animated films anyway, why not make an animated Episode VII, VIII and IX? And instead of giving the characters with faces that look like they were made for a Play Station video game, give the animation a photo realistic feel like they did with Beowulf. And make the movies about the continuing adventures of Luke, and Han, and Leia. The original actors don't even have to be in it, they can just be animated versions of what Mark Hammil, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher looked like thirty years ago.

If Mr Lucas was fibbing and he never came up with stories for Episodes VII, VIII and IX, then they can be based off of the Thrawn trilogy books which were written by Timothy Zahn and take place five years after the Return of the Jedi, and indisputably the best of the Star Wars books written by other people.

This is just one Star Wars fans opinion, but I'm getting a bit tired of Republic Clone Troopers and battle Droids. I want to see X-Wing fighters back in action, and the return to the Millennium Falcon with Han Solo and Chewbacca on a whirlwind intergalactic adventure! I want to see Luke Skywalker continue to develop his Jedi skills. But this meager blog will never reach George Lucas's sphere of reading material, so all I can do is go back to dreaming.

And participate in productive activities that will benefit society while I'm at it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, you could write him fan mail. It might actually read him, if his lackeys think it's a good idea.

Renee said...

I'm bigging to realize that you weren't kidding when you corrected us that day in church. It was probably best to remove "not that" from the nerdy :)