Monday, March 17, 2008

Regarding Frownet

Immediately after writing that last post I went outside and saw a long earthworm colored line stretched out under the mailbox. Oh no! Frownet had not moved from the night before! He was not back in the ground where he should be, cleansing the soil. The flash from my camera must have been too much for the poor, fat earthworm. I must have killed him with my efforts to exploit him, to show him off as the ninth wonder of the world. I had not learned the lessons from King Kong. I was no better than Carl Denham. I approached Frownet's dried out remains, and learned the truth: Frownet is a stick.

The night I first saw Frownet was wet and rainy. The earthworms were out and all over the sidewalk. I was tired after a long day of work and a long midnight commute. When I first saw Frownet I thought he could have been none other than the largest earthworm ever, the worm that dwarfs all others. If I would have reached down and touched him that night I would have realized that he was a stick. But I didn't because in the dark of night, and being as tired as I was, I thought it was an earthworm, and earthworms are slimy. I would have discovered that Frowney is not slimy. He, or it, is sticky.

So, all in all, I feel a bit daft for naming a stick.

But that's ok because I am not, nor will be, the last person to misidentify something. Here is another such story, which is much more scientific than my own.

1 comment:

Renee said...

HA!! This makes me laugh. I once mistook a snake for a shoelace when I was a kid. Of course, shoe laces are fibery and flimsy, snakes are not. I immediately disocvered my mistake and freaked. Sort of the opposite of your mistake, but yours is the much safer version.